Today Premier Ford, Minister Elliott and Minister Fullerton under the advice of the Chief Medical Officer of Health are urging seniors over the age of 70 to self isolate. Today our government announced:
- $10 Million to help community organizations with the coordination of subsidized meal deliveries, medicines and other necessities.
- $20 million over two years to protect seniors in retirement homes through increased infection control and active screening procedure
- $243 million dollars to protect residents of long-term care homes. This will go towards 24/7 screening of staff and residents for more cleaning and sanitation and to increase capacity and reduce pressures on hospitals
- Today, the Ministry of Health put out a public letter strongly urging those over the age of 70 self-isolate on the recommendation of the Chief Medical Officer of Health.
- The Ontario government is working with businesses, volunteer organizations and non-profits to make it easier for Ontario’s seniors during this crisis to self-isolate by ensuring they can receive the support they need to stay safe and healthy.
- The government is investing $10 million to help community organizations with the coordination of subsidized deliveries of meals, medicines and other necessities to seniors.
- The government is also working with grocers and pharmacists to and prioritize seniors’ delivery orders and establish senior-only shopping hours.
- The government is also working with province-wide organizations including Ontario Community Support Association (OCSA), Older Adults Centres’ Association of Ontario (OACAO) to identify and mobilize potential volunteer supports in the community to address social isolation and support daily living assistance.
- The government is also investing $20 million over two years to protect seniors in retirement homes through increased infection control and active screening procedure
- The government is also investing $243 million for long-term care homes to support 24/7 screening, additional staffing, enhanced cleaning and sanitation, and additional surge capacity.
- Our government is building an iron ring around our seniors and encouraging everyone to reach out and support them, whether it’s delivering their prescriptions or picking up the phone and giving them a call.