Today, Premier Ford, Minister Fullerton and Minister Elliott announced the following action is being taken in long-term care homes across the province:
- Effective immediately, we have begun the process of taking over the temporary management of an additional five long-term care homes: Eatonville Care (Etobicoke), Hawthorne Place (North York), Altamont Care (Scarborough), Orchard Villa (Pickering) and Camilla Care (Mississauga). Our government had previously taken over two others.
- We are deploying six teams of two inspectors for a period of two weeks to each of the five homes identified in the Canadian Armed Forces report and Camilla Care. These inspectors will conduct rigorous inspection and monitoring of these homes.
- Over the next 21 days, we will conduct further inspections in other high-risk homes facing the greatest challenges in managing their outbreaks.
- Over the next 30 days, the Ministry of Long-Term Care will conduct random spot checks of both high-risk homes, and other homes across the province.
- We are expediting the establishment of our independent commission to July.
Yesterday, the Premier ordered the Canadian Armed Forces’ report on long-term care homes be made public.
Upon receiving the report we launched a full investigation, the results of which will be turned over to the police.
Today we are taking further measures to protect our most vulnerable including starting the process to take over temporary management of five long-term care homes, ramping up inspections of high-risk homes and implementing additional random spot checks on long-term care homes across the province.
Our government has been clear, we are using every tool at our disposal to address this crisis. We will do whatever it takes, for as long as it takes.
Part of this action includes expediting the implementation of an independent commission. This commission will be open and transparent, with public hearing, witnesses and a public report.
Our seniors and their families deserve nothing less than action and answers, and we will deliver them.