We know the toll COVID-19 has taken on seniors and their families across Ontario. But we also know that throughout this crisis, Ontarians have come together to show remarkable support for one another in expressions of true #OntarioSpirit.
Today, we recognize the extraordinary volunteer efforts to support our seniors.
Through Ontario’s historic partnership with SPARKOntario, more than 3,500 volunteers have registered with SPARK’s volunteer hub–delivering food, running errands, and offering a word of encouragement to our seniors in need. In addition to our heroes in uniform, in hospitals, and on the front lines–these volunteers are the hidden heroes helping save lives in a different way.
SPARKOntario’s mission is to bring potential volunteers and non-profit organizations together, while spreading the word about volunteering and help Ontarians to get involved with activities that fit for their lifestyle
SPARK/ SENIORS VOLUNTEERS
- Ontario’s seniors are some of the most precious and valued members of our families and communities.
- They’ve worked hard, made sacrifices, and deserve to live in comfort, dignity, and in the presence of people who care.
- We applaud the service, sacrifice, and #OntarioSpirit of the thousands of volunteers who are working to make life better for our seniors during this pandemic.
- Over 54,000 users have visited the SPARK Ontario website to learn how they can volunteer.
- Over 3,500 civic-minded Ontarians from across the province have signed up on the site to volunteer, with an additional 3,100 contacting a community organization regarding a volunteer opportunity.
- 141 community organizations have registered for volunteer matching and more than 100 COVID-19-related volunteer opportunities have been posted online.
- These are the heroes who don’t wear uniforms–helping to save lives in a different way.