If a birth has been registered in Ontario, you can apply for this certificate online. The process if quick, simple, and secure.
Please note: The birth must be registered in Ontario to use this service. If you would like to register your baby, you can use the Newborn Registration Service.
What you will need:
- Applicant Information (First and Last Name, Mailing Address, Phone Number)
- Subject Information (First, Middle, and Last Name, Date of Birth, Gender, City of Birth)
- Mother’s Information (Maiden Name)
- Guarantor Information (only required for subjects age 9 or older; First and Last Name, Occupation, Work Address, Daytime Phone Number, if Guarantor is a Canadian Citizen)
- A valid method of payment (VISA, MasterCard, American Express or Interac® Online)
Request by Mail
A birth certificate application can be submitted by mail. The application is available online, as well as at our Constituency Offices.
How can I get a new or replacement birth certificate in an emergency?
Our Constituency Offices can help in expediting a new or replacement birth certificate needed urgently for reasons such as travel or employment. The Office of the Registrar General requires proof of urgency, such as plane tickets or hotel reservations. Regular processing of birth certificates currently takes approximately four months. Each person’s request is unique. Please call the Constituency Office at 519-245-8696 for further information.
Find out more information about birth certificate applications by visiting Service Ontario.